The nerves remote meetup is getting started soon and it seemed like a good idea to get a parts list put together. This should work for anyone following along with the meetup or for people watching the recording later.
- 8 Channel Relays these will send power to the sprinkler valves
- Raspberry Pi 3 B+ this will be running our nerves code
- 3 Pack of Micro SD Cards holds our nerves code
- Wires and Breadboard useful for quickly wiring things together in a testable way
- Wall Plug to USB
- USB to MicroUSB cords
- USB <-> TTL Serial Cable (optional) useful to debug what’s happening on the raspberry pi
Note: if you have micro SD cards, micro USB charge cords etc laying around, you can probably just use what you have.
For this project we are planning to re-use most of the existing wiring that your sprinkler control board has avaiable. Here is a picture of my sprinkler control board.
The main 24VAC power line comes into the top-left and I plan to just tap into those in order to power the relays. The small boxes in the middle are the power inputs for each of the valves so I plan to wire my relays to those same inputs.